FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 18 OCTOBER 2021
George Town – Marathoners craving for a race fix can start preparing for Penang Bridge International Marathon Virtual Run 2021 as registrations begin 22 October 2021, featuring brand-new challenges and conventional marathon categories.
Penang State Executive Councillor for Tourism and Creative Economy YB Yeoh Soon Hin, who is also the chairman of PBIM said that the virtual run is complimentary for all and can accommodate runners from across the globe due to its virtual nature.
The race period will commence from 0000 (12am) of 21 November 2021 and end at 2359 (11.59pm) of 20 December 2021 following GMT+8.
“PBIM’s virtual run in 2020 recorded participants from more than 70 countries. We want to continue this commendable momentum, so we have introduced brand-new challenge categories to encourage participation and sportsmanship, on top of adding excitement to the annual event” he added.
He said that the new challenge categories introduced are:
- 5 Largest Marathon Teams – Minimum of 10 members per team
- The 5 largest teams in terms of member size (pax) will be awarded with a trophy. Every team member must clock in a minimum of 5KM in one single activity. Each team member must be 13 years old and above.
- 10 Highest Mileage Runners – Male and Female Category
- 10 runners of each gender, with the highest mileage within the race period will be awarded with a special achievement medal.
- First 10 runners to achieve 100KM, 300KM and 500KM – Male and Female Category
- First 10 runners of each gender to clock in 100KM, 300KM and 500KM respectively, will be awarded with a special achievement medal. Repeated winners are allowed (Eg, a runner can win the 100KM, 300KM and 500KM simultaneously).
He also said the three conventional categories carry on as usual, which are the 10km, 21km (Half Marathon) and 42km (Full Marathon) with the addition of a 5KM fun run.
“Although there are no race packs or finisher medals, but the participants would be eligible for the e-certificate if they manage to complete the race within the respective qualifying time of 1 hour 15 minutes (5KM), 2 hours (10km), 3.5hours (Half Marathon) and 7 hours (Full Marathon),” he added.
The PBIM2021 Virtual Run is themed #ARunTowardsNormalcy to remind runners and participants that we are still waging the global Covid-19 pandemic with hopes that normalcy will be reverted as soon as possible.
“I hope that PBIM will be the beacon of hope to inspire everyone that a better future awaits,” he added.
As per the usual PBIM, Yeoh said there is an age limit for participation namely: 13 years old and above for the 5KM fun run; 13 years old and above (10KM); and 18 years old and above (21KM and 42KM).
Yeoh reminded that registrations for PBIM2020’s physical run would still be automatically brought forward to PBIM2022 which its dates will be advised accordingly.
“As usual, runners must complete their registration and connect one tracking app or GPS wearables to Biib, and ensure that the tracking app, which has been successfully synced, is turned on before the run to record the distance.
He also emphasized that runners who are interested to join both, the speed and distance categories must register for two events, separately.
Special mementos and merchandises will also be released by Brooks and Emico to commemorate PBIM’s second edition of virtual run, which will be available for purchase at PBIM website.
Latest updates of the race are available at Penang Bridge International Marathon Facebook page (@penangbridgemarathon).
For more information, runners can also visit www.penangmarathon.gov.my or email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 04-650 5133.